Monday, October 24, 2011

My Halloween Obsession

I love dressing up for Halloween.

I mean it.  I really LOOOOOOOOOVE dressing up for Halloween. 

When I was a kid, my mom would let me come up with whatever I wanted to be, no matter how crazy or difficult to make, and that's exactly what I'd be.  She'd let me creative visions guide our work, even if how I wanted to make the costume wasn't necessarily the best way.  I dressed up as almost every character imaginable. 

Strawberry Shortcake
A China Doll
Minnie Mouse
Scarlet O'Hara
The Ace of Hearts
Nancy Kerrigan
Crew Member from the Starship Enterprise

That's just the short list.  There are tons of other costumes.  Those are just the most memorable.  We spent hours at the local walmart or the hardware store or wherever had the crazy part we were looking for.  It was super fun and super memorable.

I am determined to do the same thing with my kids.  On Curly's first Halloween in 2007, I made this costume for her with no pattern.



In 2008, I bought this in Montgomery for her in February.


In 2009, I spent HOURS working on these costumes.  At age 2, she picked Snow White from the pattern catalog at the craft store.  Buddy's was put together from scratch.


Last year, she wanted to be a ballerina and he was in love with Bob the Tomato.


This year, she wants to be Tinkerbell.  He still isn't expressing a preference, so I figure this is the last year I will get to make them into a matching set.  He's going as Captain Hook. 

I had some elaborate plans for Curly's Tinkerbell costume, but Handsome pointed out to me that authenticity was probably more important to me than to her.  So we found a really sweet Tinkerbell costume at the local thrift store for $2.  Buddy's costume has been the time consuming one this year. 

They will make their debut on Wednesday at our church's Trunk or Treat event.  Pictures to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment